It's that time of year, when I choose my favorite feature films of the year! Happy New Year!
There were about 35 new feature films that premiered in Israel this year! Many of the films were made by or about women. Some were political. Some were historical. The following are the ones that I think were the best!!
- · Dancing Arabs by Eran Riklis - drama about issues of identity of Israeli Arabs, based on a book by Israeli columnist and author, Sayed Kashua
- · Self-Made by Shira Gefen - political drama about two women and a checkpoint
- · Sweets by Joseph Pitchhadze - political drama
- · Orange People by Hannah Azoulai-Hasafari -- ethnic drama about superstition
- · Zero Motivation by Talya Lavie - comedy about women in the military
- · Gett by Ronit and Shlomi Elkabetz -- courtroom drama about a woman applying for a divorce which can only be granted by the ultra-orthodox rabbinate
- · Hill Start by Oren Stern - comedy about father-son relations
- · The Farewell Party by Tal Granit and Sharon Maymon - about growing old
- · Manpower by Noam Kaplan - about African refugees and migrant workers
- · Farewell Baghdad by Nissim Dayan -- about the Jewish community of Baghdad during the period immediately following the establishment of the State of Israel, based on the best-selling novel by well-known Israeli author, Eli Amir